Montgomery County Chapter of the ACLU of Maryland
For questions or information, please call Darian Unger at 301-741-5634 or DarianUnger@yahoo.com
The chapter meets regularly at 7:30 pm on the 4th Wednesday of the month in the Silver Spring Civic Building at 1 Veterans Plaza, Silver Spring 20910. The next meetings will be on April 26 and May 24.
Our meetings are open, and all are welcome to participate. We focus on civil rights and civil liberties issues on a local scale, including:
- Religious liberty
- Freedom of speech and expression
- Nondiscriminatory policing
- Racial justice
- Educational opportunity and equality
- Proposed curfews
- Equal access to public facilities
- Voting rights
- Privacy and reproductive rights
- Gender and orientation equality
Events and News:
- ACLU FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request for information about local airport detainees and people affected by the travel ban
- Montgomery County ACLU general meeting at 7:30pm on Wednesday, 3/22
MoCo Forum on Criminal Justice Reform, featuring David Trone, Marc Elrich, and Nkechi Taifa
Recent meetings have concentrated on
- Protecting sanctuary cities and the rights of all residents, regardless of status or background
- Police use of technologies in Montgomery County, including warrantless phone tracking and deadly use of tasers.
- Budding efforts to reform the discriminatory bail system used by the state.